Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Get Real Chat: Losing to Gain

Let's talk about fitness. I've been active all my life, but things change when you enter the real world after college. You don't walk back and forth to classes anymore. You sit at a desk or in a cubicle most of the day. Because of this, I took up running the fall after I graduated, something I previously hated. Lately I've been trying to run 4-5 days a week after work, and slowly but surely I've started to enjoy it. My social media accounts are flooded with Nike+ updates, I guess that's how I keep myself accountable. Spending time being active after a day at the office is one of the best ways for me to de-stress. Lately, though, I feel like I've been in a slump, like running wasn't enough. It seems like it's really hard to find time to fit an extra workout in your day. This week, I changed up my workouts by spending my lunch breaks in the fitness room with my 30 Day Shred DVD (granted, it's been very rainy so I can't go running). Jumping back into that one after a while is painful, but I'm definitely feeling a lot more energized.

So I'm setting a new goal, mixing things up a bit. Trying to find new ways to get in a good workout and being sure to do something active every day. Three days a week (at least) I plan to spend 20 minutes of my lunch our doing 30 Day Shred along with a post-work trip to the gym or the park. I'm dying to try Pure Barre and I would love to find some outdoor classes. Taking inspiration from The Holden ladies, I'm losing to gain. Gaining health, energy, and resolve.

In a few weeks I, along with some of my coworkers, am running The Color Run Birmingham. This will be my first 5k in a long time, so I'm glad that we're doing one that isn't too serious. Last year, SB and I ran the Color Me Rad 5k on the day he proposed. Almost a year later, I'm running The Color Run Birmingham on May 31. (Right now there's a great deal going on with Livingsocial where you can sign up for $27, check it out [and join us] here!) I guess it's a good sign that I'm still running a year later!

Make sure you tag your workout posts with #losingtogain and share your favorite ways to get in a workout! Also check out Chic in Academia's "Chic and Fit 2014"!

3 comments:

  1. I love the 30 Day Shred! It's great to do when you want a super quick workout & don't feel like driving anywhere to do it. Makes me sweat every time.

    Do you think Polar watches are worth the investment? I've considered getting one but I'm not sure about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my Polar FT4--I enjoy seeing how many calories I'm burning during various activities. So I think it's worth it! I found mine on amazon for around $50.

      Delete
  2. I have done the 30DS a few times now! It is such a great way to get back into working out...or changing up your game some because it hits cardio, strength and abs. Right now I am doing Body Beast...it is the first work out program I have done that I am actually excited to do.

    I admire that you do 5K's. I think one day I would like to do one...but I am not a runner at all right now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...