Monday, October 14, 2013

Good Eats: Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

Over my long weekend, I got to do a little bit of cooking while I was visiting my parents. It sure is more fun to cook for other people when you're used to cooking for one. My mom and I spent a lot of the weekend running errands and I tried on a ton of wedding dresses. Before we left on Saturday morning I put together a big pot of Taco Chili for my dad to eat while we were out, and last night I tried something new. Over the summer, my friend Olivia shared with me that involved stewed tomatoes and lentils, which make a delicious pair. I wanted to make something a little more hearty and filling, but still simple and healthy, so when I ran across a recipe for lentil stuffed sweet potatoes, I had to give it a try. Originally I had planned to have grilled chicken tenders along with this recipe, but decided keep it simple.

Here's what you need:
Cherry or Grape Tomatoes
Sweet Potatoes
Dry Lentils
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Coarse Sea Salt
Cracked Black Pepper

Preheat the oven to 375. Scrub your sweet potatoes first, then rub them with a little extra virgin olive oil, coarse sea salt, and cracked black pepper. Place them on a foil-covered cookie sheet, then go ahead and put those in the oven. They'll bake for about 45 minutes, until they're nice and fork tender. After those are in the oven, go ahead and cook your lentils according to the package (I cooked 1 cup of dry lentils & we had a good amount left over after filling three potatoes). Next, the tomatoes. Slice them in half & drizzle with just a little bit of your olive oil, then place them on another cookie sheet and roast them for about 20-25 minutes, but keep an eye on them.

Once all your ingredients are done, put it all together. Slice the sweet potatoes down the middle and sprinkle a little sea salt in them before you fill them with about a quarter cup of lentils. Top each potato with as many tomatoes as you like, and you're done! These are filling and perfect for an early fall dinner. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...